Wednesday, November 1, 2017


So as a new CDC, beginning last school year...went through the 120 hour training over four months to add Career Development Coordinator to my Educator's License, which was bringing me full circle in my own career.  I began my career with government programs as a Career Counselor, worked with teens in the summer youth employment program and with adults in three states (moved with my husband's job) who were laid off from their jobs and needed counseling, retraining/certifications to get back into the workforce.  I became a School Counselor in 1997, and served in Wake County Schools for 12 years at all educational levels K-12, the last three years were at Carroll. (I left for 6 years to pursue my license as a Professional Counselor and earned my license in 2007, and began a small private practice and still serve individuals & families on weekends) 

 Last year I served at two schools, Centennial Campus Middle and Carroll...this year, Elizabeth MacWilliams, our Principal said she wanted me back full time and asked if I would teach the Career Decisions elective classes.  So here I am... this photo was from the fall Conference for CDC/SPC's, for high school & some for middle school, it was in Boone, NC, at App State. I also attended the summer Conference in Greensboro and I have a vision for how middle schools need to be just as much in the forefront as high school, not only in our state, but around the country.  So National Conference may be in the future...

Rosalynn Tenny, CDC at Heritage Middle, and I
at the Conference in Boone in September.  I have gained a lot of insight from her advice, as well as other CDC's I have gathered around me as mentors to learn from. Rosalynn is so talented and has such a heart for what we do for students every day! It is an honor to serve with such talented professionals with heart! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment